- 2019 New Year’s Resolutions for your home
If you’ve been looking around your house thinking that it’s time for a new look or to take stock of what you can do for the New Year to give your home a boost, look no further.
Here are my top 10 things to do brighten your home for the New Year:
- Order a Pest Control report; If you haven’t had your home checked in over 5 years, it’s time you had an expert come to your home to let you know what may be lurking behind your shower walls, under your foundation, or what the current status of your deck might be. We all want to put these things off until the last minute, but waiting too long can cost you money in the long run. It can also be dangerous. Don’t wait. Call an expert to check your property for dry rot, termites, or other pests.
- Have a gardener come by and give your yard a good general clean-up. Raking leaves and pruning is important this time of year. Clearing all dead branches and debris can be a lifesaver. It’s also a good time to plant bulbs for the spring.
- Get a roof inspection. We’re in the middle of rainy season. Roof leaks can be hidden and early roof repairs now can save you money.
- How long has it been since you’ve replaced your overhead light fixtures? Take a look in all your rooms, hallways, baths, kitchen, bedrooms, dens, and see if they might benefit from a new look. I use Build.com to purchase some of the most reasonably priced light fixtures. They arrive well packed, undamaged, and their prices are reasonable.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors (One smoke detector for every bedroom, hallway and a carbon monoxide detector for each level of your home, including basements are required by law) Do this every 6 months; it could save your life.
- Clean your carpets. It’s an inexpensive way to keep allergies at bay and give your home a cleaner smell, not to mention helping your home look fresher!
- Rooms looking a little beat up, dingy and dated? Take a trip to the paint store and review some of the new colors for spring. A new coat of paint can give your home, or just your front door, a huge lift.
- Have you explored new dual pane windows? This can save you big bucks on your heating and cooling bills as well as give your home greater value. If you replace all your windows at one time, most installers will offer a sizable discount.
- Tired of your old vinyl kitchen or bathroom floors? Try some of the new Designer vinyls. They look like hardwood floors, are water resistant, and come in about a dozen colors,( available at all flooring stores and Home Depot)
- House numbers: Is your home still sporting house numbers from the ’50s, 60’s or ’70s? Try changing these for some new trendy styles. It’s an inexpensive way to give your home greater curb appeal.
Please call us for all your Real Estate needs in service areas in the East Bay including:
Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito, Kensington, Oakland, Richmond, El Sobrante, and Hercules